Thursday, October 21, 2010

A blog, a contest, and a challenge!

I have a couple of fun things going on right now that I wanted to share with you, cyber-world.



First off, my new blog! I have switched from a blog that was through my website to Blogger. I had long neglected my blog..and I hadn't even had it for that long! I decided that I really needed to revamp a lot of things with my photography so the first and easiest thing for me to work on was my blog. And this time I am dedicating myself to having a committed relationship with my blog. Much thanks to Jessica for helping me un-fog my brain and showing me the ropes of Blogger. For some, this may seem like a very easy task but, you see, I have a bad case of "baby brain" and any mother out there knows exactly what I'm talking about. I don't know if it is the lack of sleep or the overload of cartoons and baby talk but it has caused me to fumble sentences and lose my vocabulary. I am hoping that carving out some "me" time and constructing a cohesive blog will help me through this! :) So, here's to the start of my new blog!

The second thing going on right now is that I have entered one of my photographs "Fall Fall Falling" into a contest with JPGMag.com and I would love if you would show your support and vote for it (you can follow the "Fall Fall Falling" link to vote on my pic)! This is a photo magazine that is comprised solely of photographs submitted by you and me..you don't have to be a professional or have any credentials but you do have to sign up online to vote and submit. It's free and easy and they don't spam you, so check out their website, vote for my photograph in the "Defying Physics" category and, what the heck, go ahead and submit one of your photographs for one of their categories! I think this is going to be an on-going project for me..having themes to find and photograph is a good way to work your brain and your shutter finger and I find it helps me become a better photographer.




The last thing I have to talk about today is my participation in this months Photo Hunt Challenge. This is also something that is open to anyone and everyone at every skill level of photography. You get a list of words (this month it is a list of 20) and your goal is to interpret each word into a photograph. This is my first time doing this and I actually wasn't quite sure whether I was going to follow through with it (finding 20 words/photographs seemed slightly daunting..would I have time to do this? Would I be able to channel my creativity to find all the words?..) Until today, when I decided to go to the park with my daughter..I stuck the list of words in my back pocket just in case inspiration struck me and of course I brought my camera (and let me tell you, it is some task taking pictures with a 8 month old strapped to your chest in a harness!..she is definitely a budding photographer already, the way she was reaching out for the camera and pulling on the strap lol !). I actually got quite a few of the words crossed off the list. I have always thrived on procrastination (unfortunately) so leave it to me to wait till there are only 1 1/2 weeks left of the month before I began this project.. I am going to try my best to complete this Photo Hunt Challenge..but regardless of whether I get all 20 pictures/words, I will post whatever I do have on here at the end of the month for you all to see and critique.



So, that's all for right now. I will be updating my website soon (I hope..) and I'll let you know when that is complete so you can give me some constructive criticism on that as well.



Have a great day and enjoy the beautiful fall weather!

No comments: