Thursday, April 7, 2011

Texture Thursday

It's funny, 'cause when I was growing up in my hometown, I couldn't wait to get out of here.  And I did.  I left town to go to school an hour away..then decided that wasn't far enough either and right after graduation traveled another 600 miles 'til I hit New York.  Aaahh-that's better.  I was free, I thought. 

New York City is where I met my husband and where we fell in love.  I have fond memories of NYC but it wore on me too.  I needed my space, I needed my air and New York was slowly turning me into an angry person.  We eventually made it back to my hometown in 2009 and every day I love it more and more.

 The reason that I am going on this tangent is particularly about these buildings that I photographed the other day.  The old tobacco buildings that stand prominently and ominously in downtown Winston-Salem, NC.  I love these buildings.  Love love love.  I love their oldness, and their history, their architecture and their mystery (uh-no, I didn't mean to rhyme there..but it sounds nice anyway!).

 I go downtown pretty frequently to photograph them.  I would love to have access inside these old buildings..but there's a tall barbed-wire fence surrounding the premises.  And actually, at this visit, half of the building was covered in a tent with a sign saying "Danger: Asbestos"...hhmmm..

 I'm a sucker for lines and architecture, so this ended up being my favorite shot of the day.  In CS5, I auto corrected the tone/color/contrast and added my favorite grunge texture (that I found HERE), with the blending mode set to "overlay."


This is the unedited version:


The Daily Wyatt



10 comments:

Jaymi said...

VERY cool edit!

Ashley Sisk said...

The edit looks awesome!

alicia said...

Love it!!

Chic Homeschool Mama said...

What fantastic texture!

Kara said...

love your edit! the texture adds a lot to it. and great colors too.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Very nice edit -- I like your subject --

Nicolasa said...

Super cool edit! I love that building!

Ray said...

Cool shot and great edit!

Summer said...

Great edit!

Marla said...

Wonderful texture and edit. Good job.

Marla @ www.blueskiesphotoblog.com